Grants Program to National Voluntary Organizations
Public Safety Canada offers grants to national voluntary organizations (NVOs) that work in the area of criminal justice and whose objectives and activities support and promote the public safety mandate and priorities of the Department.
The Grants Program to National Voluntary Organizations (GP to NVOs) provides funding to NVOs who are active in the area of corrections, conditional release and/or community reintegration. The funding is meant to help these organizations maintain a national structure and cover core operating expenses, including salaries and benefits. The GP to NVOs provides a total of nearly $1.8M annually in the form of grants to organizations that meet program eligibility criteria.
The call for applications for the April 1, 2020 – March 31, 2025 funding cycle for the Grants Program to National Voluntary Organizations is now closed. The deadline to submit an application was September 27, 2019.
The criteria for receiving a grant under the program include the following:
- The applicant is a national voluntary organization or a not-for-profit organization that provides services in the area of corrections, conditional release and/or community reintegration, and therefore contribute directly to public safety.
- The organization's objectives and activities are directly related to those of the Department and its portfoliio partners.
- The organization has a a governance structure such as a Board of Directors.
- The organization has internal accountability measures.
- The organization is normally able to secure at least five per cent (5%) of its core funding from sources other than the federal government.
- The organization has a visible constituency.
- The organization agrees to provide information requested by the Department of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness in accordance with the Terms and Conditions of the Grant Program.
How to apply
The following will be required of all applicants in order for the department to consider a grant application:
- A completed Request for Funding Questionnaire (Word 39 KB) (HTML);
- The organization’s most recent annual report;
- A projected balanced budget disclosing all revenues from all sources, including in-kind support, as well as all expected expenses over the life of the project; and
- A copy of the most recent financial statement prepared in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles and certified by a person duly authorized by the organization.
The Department of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness may request additional information such as copies of recent reports, conference proceedings and other documents produced by the applicant, if available.
Completed applications must be submitted electronically to email@example.com. The maximum file size limit for email attachments is 10Mb. Funding decisions are made based on a Departmental review and approval process. Applicants will be notified of the status of their respective applications upon completion of this process.
For more information
Please read carefully the Terms and Conditions of the Grant Program.
Please direct requests for assistance to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Assistance is available to answer general questions.
Corrections News Releases
Minister Blair welcomes the Office of the Correctional Investigator’s Annual Report
October 27, 2020
Government to support the safe reintegration of offenders under community supervision during COVID-19
June 9, 2020
Minister Blair responds to inmate death at Mission Institution
April 16, 2020
- More Corrections News Releases
Corrections Publications and Reports
- Increasing the Use of Restorative Justice in Criminal Matters in Canada - Baseline Report
- 2019 Corrections and Conditional Release Statistical Overview
- National Victims Roundtable on the Right to Protection in Federal Corrections and Conditional Release
- 2018 Corrections and Conditional Release Statistical Overview
- 2017 Corrections and Conditional Release Statistical Overview
- More Corrections Publications and Reports
- Date modified: