The Capability Improvement Process
The Capability Improvement Process (CAIP) is a whole-of-government approach to the collection and analysis of government response activities for both exercises and incidents. It provides a standardized approach to collect, store and share observations and recommendations, including best practices, with other federal institutions. Overall, the CAIP supports the Government of Canada by tracking observations and recommendations (affecting two or more federal institutions) identified during exercises and incidents and implementing corrective actions.
The CAIP promotes collaboration and consultation between Public Safety Canada (PS) and other federal institutions to successfully meet Public Safety's collective goal to build a safe and resilient Canada.
The Capability Improvement Process is generally undertaken after each significant national exercise or incident. The CAIP will:
- produce an After Action Report (AAR) or After Incident Report (AIR) respectively, which include recommendations to improve response capabilities;
- outline tools used to summarize what occurred during the exercise or incident;
- identify issues which arose, and the solutions implemented; and
- review responses during the event or incident.
The CAIP matrix is used to:
- identify the proposed corrective actions;
- identify the primary federal institution(s) responsible; and
- identify the timeline for their implementation.
Emergency Management News Releases
Government of Canada announces funding for research project to improve Canada’s resilience to flooding
November 23, 2022
The Government of Canada marks one year since the historic and tragic floods in British Columbia
November 14, 2022
Statement by Minister Blair on the International Day for Disaster Risk Reduction
October 13, 2022
Emergency Management Publications and Reports
- Canada’s Midterm Review of the Implementation of the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015-2030
- The Memorial Grant Program for First Responders: Awareness Brochure
- Adapting to Rising Flood Risk - An Analysis of Insurance Solutions for Canada
- Compendium of U.S. - Canada Emergency Management Assistance Mechanisms
- Federal, Provincial, and Territorial Emergency Management Strategy Interim Action Plan 2021-22
- Date modified: