Population served: Adult offenders
Setting: Criminal justice setting
Number of completed Canadian outcome evaluation studies: 0
Continuum of intervention: Tertiary crime prevention
Corrections-based education programming is offered in multiple correctional facilities throughout the province. Addressing education and employment risks directly affect a client’s potential to recidivate.
The main goals of Education Programming are to:
- Increase offender literacy and numeracy skills so they may more fully participate in rehabilitative programming;
- Help the client attain the highest level of educational achievement, that is high school graduation or equivalency; and
- Assist clients in developing the skills and competencies to successfully engage in achieving sustainable economic engagement.
All offenders in the province who have identified criminogenic risk in the area of education and employment are offered admittance into the program based on available resources to meet the demand.
The program components of Education Programming include the following:
- Educational assessment designed to determine placement;
- Literacy remediation;
- Provincial high school attainment track; and
- High school equivalency track.
Some of the critical elements for the implementation of this program or initiative include the following:
- Organizational requirements: Certified Registered Educators.
- Partnerships: Saskatchewan Ministry of Education.
- Training and technical assistance: Limited information on this topic.
- Risk assessment tools: Saskatchewan Primary Risk Assessment
- Materials & resources: Limited information on this topic.
The most recognized classification systems of evidence-based crime prevention programs have classified this program or initiative as follows:
- Blueprints for Healthy Youth Development: Not applicable.
- Crime Solutions/OJJDP Model Program Guide: Not applicable.
- SAMHSA's National Registry of Evidence-based Programs and Practices: Not applicable.
- Coalition for Evidence-Based Policy: Not applicable.
Gathering Canadian Knowledge
Canadian Implementation Sites
Corrections-based education programming is offered in multiple correctional facilities throughout the province of Saskatchewan.
Main Findings from Canadian Outcome Evaluation Studies
No information available.
No information available.
There is no Canadian reference available at this time.
For more information on this program, contact:
Ministry of Justice, Corrections and Policing
700-1874 Scarth Street
Regina, Saskatchewan S4P 4B3
Record Entry Date - 2018-02-22
- Date modified: