Responding to Emergency Events
In Canada, emergencies are managed first at the local level: hospitals, fire departments, police and municipalities. If they need assistance at the local level, they request it from the provinces or territories. If the emergency escalates beyond their capabilities, the provinces or territories seek assistance from the federal government.
Learn more about Public Safety's emergency response programs and strategies:
- Government Operations Centre
- Housed at PS, the Centre monitors emerging threats and can provide around-the-clock coordination and support in the event of a national emergency.
- Search and Rescue Policies and Programs
- Search and Rescue draws on the resources and expertise of partners at all levels of government, Indigenous communities, volunteers and the private sector to respond to people who are lost, missing or in distress.
- Supporting a Humanitarian Workforce to Respond to COVID-19 and Other Large-Scale Emergencies
- This program supports non-governmental organizations (NGOs) to provide surge capacity to respond to large-scale emergencies. Funding from this program helps eligible organizations build capacity and deploy resources to respond to emergencies including the COVID-19 pandemic or other large-scale emergencies such as wildfires and floods.
- Provincial/territorial emergency management organizations
- Canadian Cyber Incident Response Centre
- Emergency Management Strategy for Canada: Toward a Resilient 2030
- An Emergency Management Framework for Canada- Third Edition
Emergency Management News Releases
Government of Canada provides disaster recovery funding to Saskatchewan for spring floods
December 21, 2022
Communiqué posting – Meeting of FPT Ministers Responsible for Emergency Management
December 15, 2022
Government of Canada announces funding for research project to improve Canada’s resilience to flooding
November 23, 2022
Emergency Management Publications and Reports
- Canada’s Midterm Review of the Implementation of the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015-2030
- The Memorial Grant Program for First Responders: Awareness Brochure
- Adapting to Rising Flood Risk - An Analysis of Insurance Solutions for Canada
- Compendium of U.S. - Canada Emergency Management Assistance Mechanisms
- Federal, Provincial, and Territorial Emergency Management Strategy Interim Action Plan 2021-22
- Date modified: