Corrections and Criminal Justice
Public Safety Canada provides advice and support to the Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness on legislation and policies governing corrections and criminal justice, including strengthening the federal correctional system, record suspensions (formerly known as pardons), high risk offenders, the expungement of historically unjust convictions and the rights of victims.
Community Safety and Community-based Corrections
Public Safety Canada engages with community-based organizations to support the safe rehabilitation and successful reintegration of federal offenders while helping to ensure victims’ rights are protected and respected, enhancing community safety and well-being. This work also focusses on addressing the overrepresentation of individuals from racialized, marginalized and at-risk communities, including Indigenous Peoples, in the corrections and criminal justice system.
Learn more about…
- Public Safety Canada’s research on corrections, which helps the Department in making evidence-based decisions.
- Public Safety Canada’s National Office for Victims is a central resource working to improve victims’ experience with the federal corrections and conditional release system, through the development of policy and information products.
- The Acts and Regulations which fall under the responsibility of the Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness.
Corrections News Releases
Minister Mendicino issues Direction on use of Dry Cells
August 29, 2022
Minister Mendicino launches the Federal Framework to Reduce Recidivism
June 22, 2022
Minister Mendicino welcomes Auditor General’s audit report on federal offenders
May 31, 2022
Corrections Publications and Reports
- Sexual Coercion and Violence in Federal Corrections
- Preliminary Observations of the Operation of Correctional Service Canada’s Structured Intervention Units
- 2020 Corrections and Conditional Release Statistical Overview
- Large-Scale Implementation and Evaluation of the Strategic Training Initiative in Community Supervision (STICS)
- Research Summary - Large-Scale Implementation and Evaluation of the Strategic Training Initiative in Community Supervision (STICS)
- Date modified: