Corrections and Criminal Justice
Public Safety Canada provides advice and support to the Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness on legislation and policies governing corrections and criminal justice, including strengthening the federal correctional system, record suspensions (formerly known as pardons), high risk offenders, the expungement of historically unjust convictions and the rights of victims.
Community Safety and Community-based Corrections
Public Safety Canada engages with community-based organizations to support the safe rehabilitation and successful reintegration of federal offenders while helping to ensure victims’ rights are protected and respected, enhancing community safety and well-being. This work also focusses on addressing the overrepresentation of individuals from racialized, marginalized and at-risk communities, including Indigenous Peoples, in the corrections and criminal justice system.
Learn more about…
- Public Safety Canada’s research on corrections, which helps the Department in making evidence-based decisions.
- Public Safety Canada’s National Office for Victims is a central resource working to improve victims’ experience with the federal corrections and conditional release system, through the development of policy and information products.
- The Acts and Regulations which fall under the responsibility of the Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness.
Corrections News Releases
Minister Mendicino issues Direction to Correctional Service of Canada on Transfer of Offenders
July 20, 2023
Government announces new rules to fight contraband in correctional facilities and restrict use of dry cells
May 5, 2023
Government of Canada takes steps to address overrepresentation of Indigenous, Black, and racialized people in the criminal justice system
March 21, 2023
Corrections Publications and Reports
- Structured Intervention Units Implementation Advisory Panel Update #3-2023
- Overview of Federal Corrections and Criminal Justice - Victim-Centred Information and Assistance
- Transforming Community Supervision Through Evidence-Based Practice
- Research Summary: Transforming Community Supervision through Evidence-Based Practice
- 2021 Corrections and Conditional Release Statistical Overview
- Date modified: