Industrial Control Systems Security Events
Industrial Control Systems (ICS) are the automated systems used to deliver essential services to Canadians. ICS are responsible for everything from the electrical current that powers our computers, to the water that flows through our buildings, to the traffic lights that manage our daily commute. Public Safety Canada delivers ICS Security events aimed at strengthening the resilience of these critical systems.
Public Safety Canada is excited to announce the upcoming 2022 Industrial Control Systems (ICS) Security Symposium series. Similar to last year's format, the Symposiums will occur in a series of virtual mini-conferences in order to deliver the content in safe and practical segments.
ICS Security Symposium Series:
- October 25 and 26, 2022 (afternoons EDT only): Insider Risk
- With increased awareness that the cyber security and physical security realms are intimately intertwined, the October Symposium will include presentations and panel discussions with experts centered on the theme of Insider Risk from both the cyber and the physical security fields.
- Call for Abstracts: Now Open!
Understanding ICS Session
Public Safety Canada hosts a focused informational session, including presentations and facilitated discussions, for those unfamiliar with the complexities of ICS security. The objective of this foundational session is to upskill Canadian critical infrastructure (CI) personnel including management and senior officials and anyone working at CI sites where ICS are employed. We encourage those responsible for infrastructure security to attend in order to broaden their knowledge of the impacts and issues facing ICS today.
Topics covered in this session include:
- What is ICS?: An Introductory Overview
- Information Technology vs. Operational Technology (IT/OT)
- Where ICS is Found: A Walkthrough of ICS in the Water Sector From Water Source to Faucet
- Case Studies of ICS Cyber Events
- Public Safety Canada Resources Available to the CI Community
The dates for the next sessions are to be determined.
Public Safety Canada's ICS Security technical workshops are focused on the development of basic incident handler skills for the ICS environment. The objective of this training is to raise awareness by giving a hands-on experience using real tools and targets. Participants will be expected to have a basic to moderate level of computer security training and proficiency within a networked environment.
Details on the next ICS Technical Workshop will be posted as it becomes available.
Public Safety Canada hosts ICS-themed webinars that bring together various experts and industry leaders to present on in-depth and timely topics related to ICS and cyber security. It allows PS to engage with stakeholders continuously throughout the year as well as provide opportunities to update the community on security topics, promote the ICS Symposium, and build relationships with experts and industry leaders. Stay tuned for our next event by joining the PS ICS mailing list!
If you're a critical infrastructure owner or operator, contact us for inquiries related to the ICS Security Symposium and Technical Workshops.
- Date modified: